lichess.org
Donate

Under 1800 Lichess tournament.

I personally am against your proposal.
You're still gonna have to play against higher rated opponents to get a higher rating.

What I do think is a viable proposal is a filter.

For example, just as when creating an individual game you may select the minimum and maximum rating of the opponent you want to face.

You could do the same with pairings. Add a settings filter for tournament pairings.

In tournaments limit the pairings to 800 - 1800 and good to go.
Someone wants an under 1400 can make it so or between 2000 - 2200.

Currently I'm stuck at 3500 because I can't find opponents rated higher than 2800. So I should put a minimum of 2900

P.S. This would also solve the fragmentation problem @achja mentioned.
^^ This would work, only if all players were using this filter. If not, you'd always have people who try to play players who are far lower rated than themselves just to win the tournament. And, if everyone is using the filter, you might as well have the system that we already have and just add a U1800 bracket.

Anyways, many people do not care about their rating, they only want to enjoy a good game against an equal opponent.
@Manuel2

I see your point.

In reality I was more than 1600 on classical I lowered it spontaneously to try a U 1600 tournament only because I wanted to test my ability there for fun. At times U2000 was still too difficult for me.

Of course everybody can train and still play with the actual U1600 or U2000 with no need of additional tranche, i.e: to have just a U2000 may be a stimulus to catch up with the next level. Still may be important for players with close ratings to have tournament in which they compete among themselves confronting with approximately equal opponents. It can be challanging and constructive for the growth of a player. Too I agree with you that one may just put ratings selection in individual matches, but let me tell just that a tournament gives a different agonistic feeling that may be good test.

Greetings
That is illegal #14

U cannot artificially increase des crease rating, sandbag, on this site I believe.
@Chessplayer1909

Hi,

I taught about this. That is way I was not sure if to loose the necessary points. But I was curious to try a tournament in which I could compete. I never manipulate articficially my points. I lost some matches on purpose for the sake of confronting me there. If there was an U1800 I would not have done this. Maybe having more tranches of tournaments can also decrease this phenomena of people changing their ratings. I believe also some useres which are way too strong create new accounts and participate to lower tournaments (where is the difference?), but I am not interested in complaining on this, this just o tell: yes I lowered my points a little but I did not do it in bad faith and I won't do it in the future. If they want to ban me cause of curiosity for some time so be it. But that is why I proposed a tournament between 1600 and 2000.

Greetings
IMHO having under 1800s (or whatever) tournaments artificially skews the ratings. This also USED to be the opinion of the mods, who were not for this idea.

The way to have a tournament system whereby weaker players can win is to have a separate league system.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.