lichess.org
Donate

How I get my rapid rating over 1400?

given you are under 1400 you just lose pieces for no reason. in the game I looked you were totally winning opponent threatened you knight with a pawn and after over 2 minutes of thinking you ignored that and took totally unrelated pawn.

There were other moves that I found bit strange but if a strong player looks at my game my moves will look definetely strange to him/her. Also I feed pieces for absolutely no reason just a bit less.

So you 1st and most important task is to pay attention what opponent did and why and also is my move safe. Losing a piece usually means losing the game. After you fixed that at least partially you will gain
immediately 100-200 points. Not that fixing it is easy.
The more you practice, the better you will get at holding onto your stuff. :)
@NikanBabaei said in #1:
>

One of the best ways to get better is practice. The more practice you get, the better you will be. So play a lot of games and analyze each one afterwards to see what went wrong/what you did well. Also try solving some puzzle streak/puzzle storm to get better at seeing certain tactics over and over again. Over time, you'll be able to see those tactics immediately in games,

Another thing that's probably not true for everyone, and this will only improve your elo not your skill.... if I play in tournaments where the average opponent is 1800+, I'll actually gain more rating than if I play at a tournament where the average opponent is 1500. Again it probably doesn't work for everyone and it'll only give you short term rating gain, but if you want just the rating to be over 1400 you could try it! :)
@petri999 said in #2:
> given you are under 1400 you just lose pieces for no reason

Usually it is the case. I'm currently above 1400 (exactly 1401) so I 'm entitled to give my wise advice, these are easy goals:
- don't lose pieces (or fail to capture opponent's) just for being careless,
- related: don't move your pieces where they will be trapped (and check if you can trap opponent's pieces safely),
- look for checkmate in 1, in both ways. Surprises happen.
Maybe try some of these:
"... Logical Chess [(Batsford edition by Chernev)] ... a collection of 33 games ... is definitely for beginners and players who are just starting to learn about development, weak squares, the centre, standard attacking ideas, and the like. In many ways, it would [be] a wonderful 'first' book (or first 'serious' book, after the ones which teach the rules and elementary mates, for example), and a nice gift for a young player just taking up chess. ..." - IM John Watson (1999)
theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/assorted-recent-books
www.amazon.com/Logical-Chess-Every-Explained-Algebraic/dp/0713484640?asin=0713484640&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1
www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1004861
“... Certainly for players who do not fully grasp the meaning of terms such as skewer, pin, fork, discovered attack, and the like, Winning Chess [(Batsford edition by Chernev and Reinfeld)] is a wonderful resource to bring the budding player to a much greater appreciation of the game. But also for intermediate players who all too often fall victim to these tactical maneuvers, or who realize in postmortems the many attacking threats they overlooked, this should be a book to consider. ..."
web.archive.org/web/20140708093415/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/review919.pdf
"... For beginning players, [the book, Discovering Chess Openings by GM Emms,] will offer an opportunity to start out on the right foot and really get a feel for what is happening on the board. ..." - FM Carsten Hansen (2006)
web.archive.org/web/20140627114655/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/hansen91.pdf
www.amazon.com/Discovering-Chess-Openings-Building-Principles/dp/1857444191?asin=1857444191&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1
Better Chess for Average Players by Harding
store.doverpublications.com/0486290298.html
"... Irving Chernev’s The Most Instructive Games of Chess Every Played was ... originally published ... in 1965. It contains sixty-two well analyzed games, each one possessing both artistic and educational value. Now Batsford has republished Chernev’s book in algebraic format, ..."
chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/tag/most-instructive-games-of-chess-ever-played/
"... The Amateur's Mind ... (for players 1000 to 1600) ..." - IM Jeremy Silman (2010)
www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/chess/the-amateurs-mind-2nd-edition/
"... The Amateur’s Mind ... is one of the best instructive books in print. ..."
web.archive.org/web/20140708094419/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/ammind.pdf
Best Lessons of a Chess Coach
forwardchess.com/sample/best-lessons-of-a-chess-coach:-extended-edition
"... [Simple Chess by GM Stean] will definitely help players in the general rating range of 1300-2000 with their positional play and strategic thinking. ..."
web.archive.org/web/20140708104258/https://www.chesscafe.com/text/review400.pdf
store.doverpublications.com/0486424200.html
"... Silman’s Complete Endgame Course ... Silman ... time and again has shown the ability to reach those who feel intimidated by the lofty approach that a grandmaster will often take. ..." - IM John Watson (2007)
theweekinchess.com/john-watson-reviews/theres-an-end-to-it-all
www.silmanjamespress.com/shop/chess/silmans-complete-endgame-course/
As GothamChess once said: "Know who's seeing what, then you'll gain the upperhand." (I think)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.